A Classic Ride – Akaroa Tours and Akaroa Rental Cars
Akaroa, Banks Peninsula, New Zealand – cruise port for Christchurch and Canterbury
Akaroa and Banks Peninsula motorbike tours, car tours, rental car and vintage wedding car hire. Locally owned and operated.
- Honda GoldWing & Side Car 2-3 passengers
- Nissan Murano rental car – 5 people or tour – 4 people
- Model A Vintage Wedding Car 2-3 passengers
- Honda Goldwing Motorbike and Sidecar Tours (the only one in New Zealand). 30 minutes to all day
- Akaroa and Banks Peninsula chauffeured car tours. Minimum 2 hours.
- Standard routes
- Custom routes – email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
- Vintage Model A wedding car hire.
- Cruise ship shore excursions.
- Fun sightseeing and photography tours
Why choose us?
- Local owner operators. i.e. we actually live here.
- Carefully planned routes and stops to make the most of the views
- Fully licensed & insured
- Let the driver keep his eyes on the road for you while you view the sights.
Where do we meet you?
- On cruise ship days we operate the tours and rental car from the taxi stand opposite the main wharf in Akaroa
- We can collect you from accommodation in and around Akaroa – please check with us
What does it cost?
- Motorbike & Side Car – 2 people half an hour $95 ($47.50 ea) the longer you go the cheaper it gets per hour. $175 1 hr; $245 1 1/2 hrs Longer times p.o.a
- Model A Wedding Hire – 2 hour minimum $375 + $75 per half hour thereafter.
- Nissan Murano Rental Car – $250 per day ($50pp for 5 people) + petrol (approx$30-$50) GPS free for online bookings.
- Nissan Murano Tours – $380 2 hrs up to 4 people $180 per hour thereafter.
How do I book and pay?
- Online booking, cash -$NZ, $AU, $US, Euro or GBP, credit card (Visa & Mastercard) or direct credit for NZ bank accounts.
- Book now facility to avoid disappointment.
- Gift vouchers for birthdays, anniversaries & celebrations
What days and hours are we open?
- 7 days 8am-8pm over summer from 1 October to 10 April
- Cruise passengers please note if you book online & your ship doesn’t come in we will refund less any booking fee that we are charged. If we call off a ride for weather or safety reasons we will refund in full.
How many people can you take?
- Motorbike & Side Car – 2 or 3. 1 in the sidecar and 1 pillion. 3 may be possible e.g. 2 children & an adult or 2 adults & a child. As a guide we suggest 120kg max in sidecar but it does depend on girth. $ 20% extra for third person over 10 years.
- Model A – 2 or 3 people. The front seat can be taken out for large dresses & easy access.
- Nissan Murano Rental – 5 people including driver
- Nissan Murano Tours – 4 passengers
Accommodation, Tours and Local Things to Do – Akaroa
- Accommodation and tour combinations available at Matua Gardens Retreat email email@example.com for options
- Best of the sea and land – A Classic Ride and a Nature Cruise on Akaroa Harbour. See www.akaroa.com
Honda GoldWing and Sidecar Tours
Tours range from 30 minutes to all day. We are more about the sights than speed and noise.
In 30 minutes you’ll be taken through the village – historic buildings, gardens and sights. Travel up the steep and narrow Lighthouse Rd for a view across the town and harbour – get a birds eye view of your ship, around to Onuku Marae and back via the Lighthouse. If you want to do it in reverse and be dropped at The Giants House let us know before we depart.
One hour goes up to the Summit Rd via Akaroa and Long Bay Rd. We know the best places to stop so don’t panic you’ll get your photos. On a clear day you’ll see as far as the Kaikoura Ranges and possibly the Southern Alps. There are several stops around the Summit Rd. At the Okains Bay intersection we turn down to Robinsons Bay and once back at sea level head in to Akaroa.
The 1 1/2 and 2 hour tours take in more of the Summit Rd going down into Barry’s Bay and around to the Hilltop respectively. Time can be made for a stop to sample award winning cheeses at Barry’s Bay Cheese Factory
One of our 3 hour tours goes down into Okains Bay with a stop at the store where you step back in time to the era of fine china cups and teapots. From there we wind our way through the outer bays farmlands to St Luke’s Church Little Akaloa, back up to the Summit Rd and back to Akaroa. The other takes in the entire Summit Rd to the Hilltop, Little River Cafe & Gallery and back to Akaroa via Barry’s Bay Cheese.
Operating from Akaroa opposite the main wharf on cruise ships days or collect and pick up from Akaroa on other days.
All prices in $NZ, include GST and for two people. All tours include a number of safe and scenic stops for photos and change over of passengers.
30 minutes: A look around Akaroa – Down to Onuku Marae and return via the Lighthouse.
Custom and longer tours: May include Okains Bay, Little Akaloa, Little River, Christchurch. Please email for times and costs.
Akaroa Rental Cars and Tours
The executive Nissan Murano is available for hire as a rental car for up to 5 people.
Leather seats, sun roof, 4WD, automatic, auto air-con, fuel efficient
Price does not include fuel. Insurance excess applies in event of a claim.
Pick up at Akaroa wharf on cruise days or by arrangement for non cruise days.
Tours available for up to 4 people. On or off the bitumen to roads and sights many people will never see.
If you are looking for a spacious, well maintained vehicle that is a joy to drive BOOK NOW.
2 hr minimum hire for tours.
With so many great sights it is best if you email us and we can help choose a route depending on your interests.
Model A Vintage Wedding Car Hire
2 hr minimum hire for weddings in and near Akaroa.
Comes with driver, cream or white ribbons, front seat in or out.
A beautiful addition to photos and in keeping with the historic ambience of Akaroa.
For accommodation and car combos see Matua Gardens Retreat